It is our goal to make our privacy practices easy to understand.
Our core privacy principles
- Third parties are not permitted to sell the information we provide to them, to market directly to you, or to disclose it in any other way without your explicit consent.
- We share your personal information with Internal Service Providers for our operations only to facilitate or outsource an ecopower service or operation when absolutely necessary and under confidential restrictions.
- We give you choices about how you wish to be contacted.
- We let you change your personal information so that you can keep it up to date.
- We use safe, secure technology.
- Your information is stored and processed on computers located in Canada. ecopower uses procedural and technical safeguards to protect your personal information against loss or theft, as well as against unauthorized access or disclosure, to protect your privacy, including firewalls and encryption. We employ many different security techniques to protect such data from unauthorized access by users inside and outside the company. However, "perfect security" does not exist on the Internet.
- We automatically track certain information about you based upon your behaviour on our Site. We use this information to do internal research on our users' demographics, interests, and behaviour to better understand, protect and serve you and our community. This information may include the URL that you just came from (whether this URL is on our Site or not), which URL you next go to (whether this URL is on our Site or not), your computer browser information, and your IP address.
- We use data collection devices such as "cookies" on certain pages of the Site to help analyse our web page flow, measure promotional effectiveness, and promote trust and safety. "Cookies" are small files placed on your hard drive that assist us in providing our services. We offer certain features that are only available through the use of a "cookie." We also use "cookies" allow you to enter your password less frequently during a session. Cookies can also help us provide information that is targeted to your interests. Most cookies are "session cookies," meaning that they are automatically deleted at the end of a session. You are always free to decline our cookies if your browser permits, although in that case you may not be able to use certain features on our Site and you may be required to re-enter your password more frequently during a session.
- If you send us personal correspondence, such as emails or letters, or if other users or third parties send us correspondence about your activities or postings on the Site, we may collect such information into a file specific to you.
- We use your personal information to facilitate the services you request. We use personal information in the file we maintain about you, and other information we obtain from your current and past activities on the Site to: resolve disputes; troubleshoot problems; bill your account; help promote safe trading; measure consumer interest in our products and services, inform you about online and offline offers, products, services, and updates; customise your experience; detect and protect us against error, fraud and other criminal activity; enforce our User Agreement; and as otherwise described to you at the time of collection, use or disclosure. At times we look across multiple users to identify problems or resolve disputes, and in particular we may examine your personal information to identify users using multiple User ID's or aliases. We may compare and review your personal information for errors, omissions and for accuracy.
- You agree that we may use personal information about you to improve our marketing and promotional efforts, to analyse Site usage, to improve our content and product offerings, and to customise the Site's content, layout, and services. These uses improve the Site and better tailor it to meet your needs, so as to provide you with a smooth, efficient, safe and customized experience while using the Site.
- You agree that we may also use your personal information to contact you and deliver information to you that, in some cases, are targeted to your interests, such as targeted banner advertisements, administrative notices, product offerings, and communications relevant to your use of the Site.
- You are responsible for all actions you take with your User ID and password, Therefore, if your password has been compromised for any reason, you should immediately change your password.
- We offer you the ability to automatically review and change the personal information you submit to us by logging into the Site and entering the new information yourself. Generally, we will not modify your personal information based upon your request because it is very difficult to authenticate your account manually.
- Upon your request, we will deactivate your account, contact information, billing information, shipping information and financial information from our active databases. Such information will be deactivated as soon as reasonably possible based upon your account activity and in accordance with our deactivation policy and applicable law.
- The user saves and holds harmless ecopower, its divisions, subsidiaries and assigns from any and all damages arising from the use of this site.
Principle 1 — Accountability
An organization is responsible for personal information under its control and shall designate an individual or individuals who are accountable for the organization’s compliance with the following principles.
Principle 2 — Identifying Purposes
The purposes for which personal information is collected shall be identified by the organization at or before the time the information is collected.
Principle 3 — Consent
The knowledge and consent of the individual are required for the collection, use, or disclosure of personal information, except where inappropriate.
Principle 4 — Limiting Collection
The collection of personal information shall be limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by the organization. Information shall be collected by fair and lawful means.
Principle 5 — Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention
Personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. Personal information shall be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfilment of those purposes.
Principle 6 — Accuracy
Personal information shall be as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
Principle 7 — Safeguards
Personal information shall be protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
Principle 8 — Openness
An organization shall make readily available to individuals specific information about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
Principle 9 — Individual Access
Upon request, an individual shall be informed of the existence, use, and disclosure of his or her personal information and shall be given access to that information. An individual shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
Principle 10 — Challenging Compliance
An individual shall be able to address a challenge concerning compliance with the above principles to the designated individual or individuals accountable for the organization’s compliance.
These principles are usually referred to as “fair information principles”. They are included in thePersonal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), Canada’s private-sector privacy law.